Sunday 27 March 2011

treasure chest

A few weeks ago I was talking with a jewellery and accessory business owner at a function, and after a few minutes of polite ‘Oh, you look lovely, where did you get your dress’ kind of talk, she stopped abruptly in the middle of a sentence and grabbed a long gold necklace off her display and put it around my neck.
“Look,” she said, with an air of satisfaction, “this just completes your outfit! Now, I mean this in the best way possible, but while that’s a beautiful dress, and you have put a beautiful necklace with it, this one suits your outfit so much more! You see, if you are-”, (here she paused, looking for a way to say ‘short’ that wouldn’t come across offensively, so I just put it out there: “short?”), “well, yes, if you are shorter, long dresses tend to exacerbate the situation somewhat, and make you look shorter still. A long necklace counteracts this.” After showing off her accessorising expertise by reflecting the truth back at me (that in fact, the longer gold heart pendant necklace did look nicer and complete my outfit) with a hand held mirror, I agreed with her, but not enough to agree with the price tag. 

So, after that conversation of enlightenment, the next day I raided all of my old and somewhat dilapidated accessory collection to see if I could put anything together that would achieve the desired effect. 

And thus follows my result.





It’s not a masterpiece, but it sure is cute. 

I love the little love birds! They came from an old set of earrings that I think I wore once and that’s about it. I have owned the heart and chain for years, and to be honest I can’t remember where they came from but they look good. All together I think the set have a really sweet charm to them.

And they make me look taller!

x

No comments:

Post a Comment